Govt SercvicesThe Government of Canada is committed to helping people with disabilities enjoy quality living. And this is truly evident from the wide range of service programs offered by them.

In this post, we’ll walk you through the different service programs offered by the Government to provide financial, emotional and medical support to the disabled:

Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits

The CPP Disability Benefits is a service program designed to financially support Canadians who now cannot work because of their prolonged and severe disability, but have previously contributed to the Canada Pension Plan.

Under this service program, the Government offers a taxable monthly payment to those eligible for it. In fact, the program also supports their dependent children under 18, or between 18 and 25, and those attending full-time school. In other words, individuals with a disability can get financial assistance through Income Replacement Supplements and Disability Tax Credits under this program, which is much needed to gain financial stability and security.

Employment Insurance (EI) Benefits

The EI service program by the Canadian Government is for those who can’t work on a temporary basis because of an injury, quarantine or illness. To qualify for the EI Sickness benefits program, you must supply a medical certificate. However, if you have a serious illness and are at risk of dying, you may qualify for the EI Compassionate Care Benefit.

Disability Tax Credit

The Disability Tax Credit program lowers the income tax that a person suffering from disability has to pay. In case that person doesn’t wish to use some or all of the tax credit because he/she has little or no income, then that individual can transfer either all or part of it to their spouse, supporting person or common law partner. However, to benefit from tax credit, the disable individual must complete a disability tax credit certification also known as Form 2201 and get it signed by their medical doctor, audiologist, and pathologist. And once completed, it should be returned to the Canadian Revenue Agency.

For more information or assistance in filing and completing government tax & disability application forms, get in touch with us today!